#carlosvillalobos #musicproducer #songwriter #FOX #Empire #Serayah #letitrock #tvmusic #hiphop #inthestudio
Produced, mixed, performed by Carlos Villalobos - Words, original vocals Ashley Ballard
Get ready for the second half of the season which premieres March 28, 2018!
From BEYOND STRANGER THINGS...
Making a DIFFERENCE in someone's life ~
So I strive to inspire the world through creating music and sharing my process."
Carlos Villalobos, (aka/ CJ Villa), is a musician, songwriter, producer, and composer mostly recognized for his Grammy-nominated nouveau flamenco project, Esperanza (formerly, La Esperanza), and his work on 'Empire' (FOX), 'Baywatch Hawaii' (NBC), 'Sex & The City (HBO), among others.
Carlos was first introduced to the tv/film music world when he wrote, produced, performed and mixed the theme song, “Let Me Be The One”, as well as the original music, for the television series, Baywatch Hawaii, in its final season. Since then he has had his music on the HBO show, Sex & The City, as well as various other shows and movie trailers (see Discography). He actively writes and produces original music in many different genres and is regularly hired to perform, write and/or produce for artists and publishers. He frequently contributes music to television shows including EMPIRE, Star, CSI:NY, Criminal Minds, How I Met Your Mother, Dexter, Smallville, American Idol, Face Off, among others.
Carlos is currently working in Chicago on the network TV show EMPIRE and continues to work between Los Angeles and Chicago writing and producing for recording artists and other projects.
• March, 2018 - Started working on our Crazy Charlie project, my Hollagram project, writing music for a friend's film, Soundloops for MAGIX in Berlin and will be directing my first music video for Crazy Charlie's single in April.
Also, I was honored to be invited to the BMI Latin Awards show where I got to hang with some amazing people.
Pictured with BMI President and CEO, Michael O’Neill and Vice President of Latin Music, Delia Orjuela
• February, 2018 - Finishing up songs for projects and getting ready for new projects at the end of the month. Excited about new projects with old friends.
• January, 2018 - Started this year working on new library music and speaking for music production students at Columbia College. Will be reviewing their music projects later in the month. These kids are really good!
• September - December, 2017 - It has gotten quite busy. Writing new music for several shows, producing new artists, and an original song I wrote/produced with my most awesome co-writer, Ashley Ballard, called LET ME ROCK for Serayah McNeill (Tiana on the show Empire). Be sure to catch the episode in mid-November. Also prepping for my own music releases in 2018 so stay tuned!
Pictured with Serayah and Empire team members, Jeff Morrow and Andrew Twiss at Periscope Post & Audio:
• August, 2017 - My studio is done! Loving the vibe and glad to be working in a new inspirational room. Thanks to KARP DESIGNS for all your help on my new room!!! Also got to work on a few tracks for EMPIRE with Jussie Smollett and Rumer Willis this month and will be traveling a lot this month, Las Vegas and Los Angeles is also on the list! ;)
Here are some of the new studio pics:
• July, 2017 - I'm back from Europe and writing from home while my new studio is being built. Pics coming soon!
• June, 2017 - Traveling throughout Europe and getting inspired to write again. I also got a call from my old EMPIRE collaborator, Petey Pablo, about working on his new single.
• May, 2017 - Working on new demos for some tv shows and also working with my EMPIRE buddy, Knitwit, a music producer, rapper/artist, on his new solo project. Gonna be fun!
• April, 2017 - Moved into a new studio facility (Fort Knox) in Chicago and building the room. Hopefully completed by mid-July. :)
• March, 2017 - Found out that the movie I scored, SIGNATURE MOVE, will be streaming on Amazon Prime next year!
• January/February, 2017 - Writing in Miami with good friend and EMD artist, Mobius 8 on his new project while working on personal songwriting project.
• November/December, 2016 - Just signed on to do a movie score for SIGNATURE MOVE, an upcoming American indie comedy-drama film directed by Jennifer Reeder and co-written and produced by Fawzia Mirza about a Pakistani Muslim lesbian woman living in Chicago with her mother. Also writing rock/EDM hybrid tracks for FOX SPORTS, more demos for EMPIRE/STAR, demos for a video game and additional music for a couple of new pop artists. Busy month(s).
• October, 2016 - Writing music for a commercial for JUAN POLLO back in LA and having fun with Ashley's lyric ideas for this spot! :)
• August, 2016 - Writing original music for EMPIRE and STAR with co-writers, Ashley Ballard and Knitwit. Tracks are sounding great and always a pleasure working with those two.
• July, 2016 - Writing an original score for a wonderful movie, THE ORANGE STORY, from Full Spectrum features. The Orange Story is a cinematic transmedia project that teaches the history and legacy of Japanese American WWII incarceration.
February 1942. President Roosevelt signs Executive Order 9066, which authorizes the forced “relocation" of 120,000 ethnic Japanese from their homes and into incarceration camps throughout the U.S.
Koji Oshima is the proud owner of a small corner grocery store, but he must now abandon everything and report to an assembly center. His belongings, his business – everything must be sold or left behind, except what he can carry in one large duffel bag.
Up against a wall, Koji receives only one low-ball offer for his store, which he has no choice but to accept. The lone bright spot during this turmoil is the friendship Koji develops with a precocious nine-year-old girl. On the day of his departure, however, Koji is saddened to learn that even this friendship has been tainted by the larger forces of fear and wartime hysteria.
• March, 2016 - Season 2 album is out! Check out one of the tracks, SNITCH BITCH, below:
Written by Moses Barrett III and Terrence Dashon Howard / Published by Universal Polygram Intl. Publishing o/b/o Kumbaya Music (ASCAP) / Universal Bridges, Inc. (ASCAP) / T C F Music Publishing, Inc. (ASCAP) / Vocals recorded at Periscope PA (Chicago, IL) / Produced by Terrence Howard and Petey Pablo / Engineered by Andrew Twiss and Jason Neumann / Assistant Engineer: Kaitlyn Heffron / Programmer, Keyboards, Strings: Carlos Villalobos
• February, 2016 - We wrapped EMPIRE S2 today (3/4/16) - time to work on my own music again!!! ;)
• February, 2016 - Empire Gets Its First Grammy Nomination! As some of you already know, I've been a music producer/engineer on many of these songs since Season 1 so I'm really excited to hear about this nomination. Let's see what happens!
• January, 2016 - Just got the news: Empire Cast “Original Soundtrack From Season 1” has been certified by the RIAA as a Gold Album!!!
• August, 2015 - Officially signed with FOX as music producer for EMPIRE on Season 2. Excited to see where this season goes!!!
• June, 2015 - I'm part of the EMPIRE music team featured in MIX MAGAZINE's article on Mike Neh's and PERISCOPE POST & AUDIO. Check it out here: http://www.mixonline.com/news/facilities/periscope-post-audio-chicago/424721
• Sept, 2014 - Back at Periscope Post & Audio in Chicago this Fall for another exciting tv season. With shows like CHICAGO FIRE, CHICAGO PD, SIRENS and the newest show, EMPIRE, Periscope is incredibly busy!!!
(L-R, Andrew Twiss, Carlos Villalobos, Terrence Howard)
(L-R, Andrew Twiss, Carlos VillaLobos (CV3), Terrence Howard)
WHAT THE DJ SPINS
Produced and arranged by
Terrence Howard and Carlos Villalobos
Terrence Howard - Vocals/Keys
Carlos Villalobos - Drums, bass guitar, drum loops, keys, programming
Group Shouts - Terrence Howard, Yazz, Jussie Smollet, Jahred Zmolek, Matt Gubernick
Additional female vocals - Alma Cook
Recorded at Periscope Post & Audio, Villa de Lobos Studios and 2424 Studios, Chicago
Mixed by Danny Christy and Carlos Villalobos @ 2424 Studios
You are visitor number: 30537